Sunsynk 8kw Inverter

Leshen

3 hours ago, Leshen said:

I think everyone can make up their own mind on what they would like to purchase, on their own accord, after gathering info and doing their research. I assume everyone here is intelligent enough to decide on their own. I am certainly not asking anyone to buy sonoff switches, I said it works for ME. There are millions of forums in the world, where products are punted - yet consumers still make their OWN purchasing decisions. I trust this is a little less obtuse for you. 

In a serious lapse of judgement I've called you obtuse, for which I apologize. It was childish and uncalled for.

On 2020/11/12 at 8:23 PM, Leshen said:

For those of you who doubt the Sunsynk 8.8kw inverter, here are some figures of what I produced today. 

This outclasses Victron by far!

FC201092-661A-452F-89B1-56CE2429DFEC.jpeg

There is No Comparison Victron is out classed in every aspect the Sunsynk is superior and much more affordable this is the start of the slow death of a fossil. 

23 minutes ago, Boerseun said:

There is No Comparison Victron is out classed in every aspect the Sunsynk is superior and much more affordable this is the start of the slow death of a fossil. 

Well I’m glad that you think so. Got a message from a Victron fan today having a stab at me for even suggesting something like this. Hope he doesn’t contact you also. 

3 minutes ago, Leshen said:

Well I’m glad that you think so. Got a message from a Victron fan today having a stab at me for even suggesting something like this. Hope he doesn’t contact you also. 

Seriously cant these guys take a little competition really weak if they disagree its their prerogative but to harass someone for having a different opinion based on actual experience is just stupid and idiotic you have my sympathy!!! Clearly Victron owners are very sensitive souls...

6 minutes ago, Boerseun said:

Seriously cant these guys take a little competition really weak if they disagree its their prerogative but to harass someone for having a different opinion based on actual experience is just stupid and idiotic you have my sympathy!!! Clearly Victron owners are very sensitive souls...

Stuck in the dark ages. 

Gents, any advice on a combiner box for the Sunsynk. I intend to put two strings of 9 and 5 panels on it. One facing North and the other one East.

I’ve bought a Sunsynk 8kW and 14 x 455W  JA Solar mono panels 😀

Just waiting for delivery now on the panels and fetching the inverter tomorrow.

I need to do last minute purchases now as the country is closing down.

So anything I need to do must happen tomorrow.

I had a look at victron before going with the sunsynk 8kw inverter. With the victron after adding all the extra items needed just to get to the same level of functionality that's comes standard in the single unit sunsynk inverter, the cost difference is astronomical. 

The sunsynk is practically plug and play with the only extra item needed being the WiFi data logger. 

A victron setup would have costed 30% to 40% more. 

My 8kw sunsynk setup cost me R200k (R120k excluding the batteries) four months ago. Not sure what a similar 8kw victron setup would cost now. 

13 minutes ago, Johandup said:

Gents, any advice on a combiner box for the Sunsynk. I intend to put two strings of 9 and 5 panels on it. One facing North and the other one East.

You can combine them on the inverter as there are connectors in the inverter for 4 strings. Two sets of connectors on the inverter will go to MPPT 1 and the other two sets to MPPT 2.

I decided on getting this ready assembled combiner box with a disconnect and fuse to avoid having to run all four strings to inverter. 

Screenshot_20201210-185937_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20201210-190049_Photos.jpg

Edit 

Reading your post again now and you can't combine the two strings. You will have one string of 9 panels on the one MPPT and the other string of 5 panels on the other MPPT. 

Edited by Achmat

23 minutes ago, Boerseun said:

PS Your Installation looks absolutely Awesome and the quality of workmanship is unbelievable Amazing work some of the best I have seen so far and I am sure it works as well as it looks Gongrats!! 

Thank you. I appreciate it. Works really well. I have a peak power production of 9000w on a 9360w array. The array is approx 30m from the inverter so I’m happy with that production. On a sunny day I produce close to 50kwh a day. 

18 minutes ago, Johandup said:

I would Recommend a 4 input 4 output combiner box with 600v type 2 Spd's and 16 amp fuses for the strings or there abouts 

6 minutes ago, Leshen said:

Thank you. I appreciate it. Works really well. I have a peak power production of 9000w on a 9360w array. The array is approx 30m from the inverter so I’m happy with that production. On a sunny day I produce close to 50kwh a day. 

That is Amazing 50 units per day average? 🤩🤩🤩

7 minutes ago, Leshen said:

Did you get the software update on your unit? 

I'm getting up to 60kwh from my 8 540w array with peaks of 7.6kw. 

Screenshot_20201129-191837_solarmanPro.jpg

16 minutes ago, Johandup said:

Hi Johan

The Sunsynk has 2 MPPT controllers and each MPPT can take two strings. So you can connect the 9 on the one MPPT and the other 5 on the second MPPT. 

Regarding the protection box, with 2 strings, you only need 2 DC surge arrestors and 4 DC fuses/DC circuit breakers. The fuses are cheaper. 

I have a 3 string config (390w JA x 😎 and this is my protection box. 

74BAF3AE-6CC0-4150-9692-2A9D0ECD5E1E.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Boerseun said:

That is Amazing 50 units per day average? 🤩🤩🤩

It all depends on how much I start using in the mornings. If we don’t use much then the panels sit idle. Best thing is I have 2 x 200l geysers, borehole pump, booster pump, etc and our bill is only R600 a month. 

6 minutes ago, Leshen said:

Hi Achmat. That’s awesome figures.  Are you pushing power back into the grid?

Some of it is get pushed back to Eskom. Eventually want to get more batteries and disconnect from the grid completely but will first need to see how it performs over its first full winter. 

13 minutes ago, Achmat said:

Some of it is get pushed back to Eskom. Eventually want to get more batteries and disconnect from the grid completely but will first need to see how it performs over its first full winter. 

My self consumption is about 78%. What app are you using. Also which software version do you have?

4 minutes ago, Leshen said:

My self consumption is about 78%. What app are you using. Also which software version do you have?

I jump between the Solarman Smart, business and pro apps but the Solarman bushes app is my main go to app. 

Inverter software version 

COMM: E412

MCU 3870

1 minute ago, Leshen said:

I have COMM : E410. MCU 3870. How do I upgrade?

If you have the data logger you can request an upgrade on the sunsynk website by supplying the logger serial number and inverter serial number. 

I also have the number of the local support contact and you can send him a WhatsApp to request the upgrade. 

Upgrade is done by them but the logger must be connected to the Internet. You can't really schedule a time and the inverter will reboot after the update so you might be without electricity for a couple of minutes. 

27 minutes ago, Achmat said:

If you have the data logger you can request an upgrade on the sunsynk website by supplying the logger serial number and inverter serial number. 

I also have the number of the local support contact and you can send him a WhatsApp to request the upgrade. 

Upgrade is done by them but the logger must be connected to the Internet. You can't really schedule a time and the inverter will reboot after the update so you might be without electricity for a couple of minutes. 

Thank you