Sunsynk Inverter Query

GerhardK83

Hi Guys

Sorry to de-rail the thread, so after all the great reviews of this inverter, im considering getting it installed with a few panels at my home.

question i have is, can this inverted be operated without batteries? 

For now i would just like to supplements my day time usage with PV, and at a later stage get batteries..

1 hour ago, Vassen said:

Okay. Glad the update resolved the other issue. 

regarding the backfeed, this shouldn’t really cause a mcb to trip. That breaker should trip with either overload or short circuit conditions. An overload would mean much more than 13kw is used. That’s pretty high.  

so you have the earth neutral bond relay installed? 

I don't have the relay installed, but I have a neutral earth bond on the backup/load supply inside the inverter. I consulted with the technical help from the importers on the earth neutral bond required.

36 minutes ago, Iiceman said:

Hi Guys

Sorry to de-rail the thread, so after all the great reviews of this inverter, im considering getting it installed with a few panels at my home.

question i have is, can this inverted be operated without batteries? 

For now i would just like to supplements my day time usage with PV, and at a later stage get batteries..

It can run without batteries, but:

1) it can not run in parallel

2) you should not connect anything to the load/gen inputs

2 hours ago, Vassen said:

Okay. Glad the update resolved the other issue. 

regarding the backfeed, this shouldn’t really cause a mcb to trip. That breaker should trip with either overload or short circuit conditions. An overload would mean much more than 13kw is used. That’s pretty high.  

so you have the earth neutral bond relay installed? 

Do you maybe think it can be the earth neutral bond causing a trip on the main supply? 

The only place where neutral and earth should be bonded permanently is where the grid entry point is in your house and the earth neutral bonding needs to happen at the essential circuit (LOAD) ONLY when there is no grid supply.

7 minutes ago, Vassen said:

Then your wiring does not seem to be right and could be resulting in trips... but this should trip your earth leakage, not the mcb. 

Under normal operation, your earth and neutral is bonded outside your property at the transformer / DB. 

As Tariq mentioned, you only need to bond earth and neutral when the grid is down and only on the load side. During this time, the grid side is anyway off, so the grid side does not have any voltage. The load side is powered and the neutral is floating compared to the earth so needs to be bonded. 

Do you have an earth leakage on the load side after the inverter, in your essential loads dB?  This will continuously trip if you have permanently bonded earth and neutral as some current flows through to earth and not back on the neutral.

Yes the load side does have an earth leakage for the backup circuit and it does not trip. 

I spoke to the guys from Segen who are also selling the Sunsync now. They said the inverter has a built in earth neutral bond and that bonding is only recommended at one single point and that a permanent bond can cause impedance issues. 

For now I have replaced the main breaker and will be doing tests tomorrow to see if the floating voltage occurs without the permanent bond

18 minutes ago, Vassen said:

Okay. That’s strange. I have not seen this mentioned in any of the sunsynk manuals or training videos that’s this is now internal. As far as I know, you need to use 2 wires connected to the ats240 pins on the inverter. This goes to the coil of the 220V relay. Maybe good to very with sunsynk technical support rather. 

I agree with you. I have just downloaded a newer version of the instalation manual and it supports your shared knowledge. I have attached the screen shot. 

Screenshot_20210107_210843_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning Everyone

I just need some independant advice on a Deye/Sunsynk 5kw Inverter - looking to upgrade to one to better utilise my 340w 12 panels for PV Input as I only have one US3000 battery. (Currently an old Mecer Axpert Off Grid..)

I want to split my DB into essential and then the rest so that I can harness some PV when available for balance of house - What will happen if the load exceeds the 5500w? Will it just pass through to grid or will it trip the inverter? What is the best way to achieve this? I can unfortunately not afford an 8kw or additional batteries for now.

And then is it best to utilise the essential and non essential functions? Or to use the CT switch and just push back into the main grid load. Hope I am making some sense?

Much appreciated!

DV

On 2021/01/07 at 9:12 PM, BOEnergy said:

I agree with you. I have just downloaded a newer version of the instalation manual and it supports your shared knowledge. I have attached the screen shot. 

Screenshot_20210107_210843_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Good day

I have also purchased the 5kw inverter. Can you please share the link or file with this latest manual?

Many thanks

Hi @DVM, you can have any load on your NON essential circuit, the 5 kW inverter will push a maximum of 5 kW into that particular circuit, from a combination of pv and battery and the rest will come from the grid, ONLY in one case of the LOAD or AUX circuits will you overload the inverter if you go over 5 kW

Someone correct me if I am wrong

2 minutes ago, Tariq said:

Hi @DVM, you can have any load on your NON essential circuit, the 5 kW inverter will push a maximum of 5 kW into that particular circuit, from a combination of pv and battery and the rest will come from the grid, ONLY in one case of the LOAD or AUX circuits will you overload the inverter if you go over 5 kW

Someone correct me if I am wrong

Thanks for the feedback...

Would you recommend then installing the non essentials through the Aux Port (Probably then bringing the 5Kw limit into play) or rather just as part of the normal grid which is then powered with excess power flowing back to before the inverter (After the CT of course)?

Will the inverter always pull the maximum PV then and split between the Essentials Load, Battery Charge and Before Grid?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, DVM said:

Good Morning Everyone

I just need some independant advice on a Deye/Sunsynk 5kw Inverter - looking to upgrade to one to better utilise my 340w 12 panels for PV Input as I only have one US3000 battery. (Currently an old Mecer Axpert Off Grid..)

I want to split my DB into essential and then the rest so that I can harness some PV when available for balance of house - What will happen if the load exceeds the 5500w? Will it just pass through to grid or will it trip the inverter? What is the best way to achieve this? I can unfortunately not afford an 8kw or additional batteries for now.

And then is it best to utilise the essential and non essential functions? Or to use the CT switch and just push back into the main grid load. Hope I am making some sense?

Much appreciated!

DV

Hi

The 5kw inverter has a passthrough amount of 48A or 10 560w. What this means is that if your loads on the inverter are 8kw it will pull the maximum available from solar and batteries (if you set to use batteries) up to 5kw and the rest will be pulled from the grid.

I have the 8kw and my load once exceeded 9kw. Solar provided 6kw, 2kw from batteries for a total of 8kw for dc to ac and thelance of 1kw was taken from the grid.

Your single pylontech battery is also limited to discharge at 37A or 1 776w.

You can put everything on the inverter and not split but then the problem comes in when the grid goes down and you might not realise it in time and the load could exceed 5kw which would trip the inverter. You can overcome this by putting the non essential items on the aux and change the setting to not send power to aux if the grid is down.

9 minutes ago, DVM said:

Thanks for the feedback...

Would you recommend then installing the non essentials through the Aux Port (Probably then bringing the 5Kw limit into play) or rather just as part of the normal grid which is then powered with excess power flowing back to before the inverter (After the CT of course)?

Will the inverter always pull the maximum PV then and split between the Essentials Load, Battery Charge and Before Grid?

Thanks!

I think it depends on your future plans as you might decide in a few year to add another 5kw in paralel. I would suggest to make use the aux rather for non essential loads and possibly only leave the geyser before the inverter and the CT to manage this if the geyser is on during the day and you have excess pv to send to it.

The inverter will always pull the maximum pv available to supply the loads or charge the batteries. You can change some of these settings depending on your needs.

Will see if I can post a screenshot where my load exceeded 8kw.

On this pic my loads were 8.61kw. The inverter took up to 8kw from solar and batteries and the balance from the grid. The 8kw inverter can do this up to a maximum of 19.8kw which I don't think I'll ever manage to reach. 

The only time you will most likely trip the inverter is if the grid is down and your loads are more than 5kw, or 8kw in my case. 

Screenshot_20210118-161416_Photos.jpg

On 18/01/2021 at 3:08 PM, branderplank said:

Good day

I have also purchased the 5kw inverter. Can you please share the link or file with this latest manual?

Many thanks

Good morning

I haven't been on the site for a while. Sorry for the late reply. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://renewables.herholdts.co.za/product/sunsynk-8kw-hybrid-pv-inverter-48v-ip65/%3Fattachment_id%3D30321%26download_file%3D5eec7129d8f3f&ved=2ahUKEwjYl5SD27PuAhWLyKQKHSByDfIQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0TV0nsi_oYvbOOe7jQoqM9

Regards

Sunsunk has not been on the market long.Please give me feedback whether it is as good as the goodwe in reliablility and does it last and give no problems.It does have a warranty and is NRS097 approved and is on the city of cape town approved list.But is it as reliable  as the goodwe and victron and will it last as long as the goodwe and victron.It is a bit cheaper but I dont want to buy cheap if it is not as good as goodwe and victron.Can anybody answer this who has had a sunsynk 5k for at least 2years.

1 hour ago, Pete Retief said:

Sunsunk has not been on the market long.Please give me feedback whether it is as good as the goodwe in reliablility and does it last and give no problems.It does have a warranty and is NRS097 approved and is on the city of cape town approved list.But is it as reliable  as the goodwe and victron and will it last as long as the goodwe and victron.It is a bit cheaper but I dont want to buy cheap if it is not as good as goodwe and victron.Can anybody answer this who has had a sunsynk 5k for at least 2years.

I don't think you will find anyone here that has had it for more than 2 years. It's fairly new in SA but is older than that. 

I can say that for the 6 months my sunsynk has been running its been flawless. Support is getting better every week. 

If you go through this thread, and most of the other sunsynk threads, I can't recall finding a single complaint yet. Just some minor bugs in the setup and understanding how it works. 

1 hour ago, Pete Retief said:

I don't think that anyone (in South Africa in any case) can answer your questions, because I am not sure that the Sunsynk inverters have been in country that long (2+ years). Perhaps someone from Aus or another country can respond, but I think that your question, while reasonable, is loaded.

I have had mine since September, no reliability issues. No issues with support, it is good despite the (smallish) installed base, which would grow substantially if you were to include the whitelabelled Deye and Fusion products. 

I also haven't heard of anyone that complains about it,

For me, it does everything that the Victron ESS does. I even know of someone who threw their Victron kit out in favour of Sunsynk, and that he is very happy with it.

On 2020/07/21 at 4:53 PM, Vassen said:

Hi @Halcyon 

I been reading the forum and saw your posts about your install. 

Just wondering what did you do for the neutral - earth bond. Did you use a AC Relay or contactor? High current AC relays are hard to come by and contactors are really bulky and dont seem to fit into a standard DB. 

thanks 

Out of interest, is it necessary to fit such a high current relay? What current is expected to flow through earth when the relay is active and bonding neutral to earth?