Sunsynk Inverter Query

GerhardK83

Hi All

I trust that you are all well.

I came across a Deye 8kW hybrid inverter and when I viewed the datasheet of the unit my browser indicated that the complete name is 8kW Deye Sunsynk Hybrid PV inverter, now I am looking for a users manual and a datasheet for the unit because in some of the posts in the forum it seems to me that there are various different specifications sheets available for the 8kW unit.

Another question which came to mind is what solar panels do you use not to exceed the 18A per mppt?

Are there other brands where the unit looks like the 8kW Sunsynk inverter with the same specifications as the 8kW Sunsynk?

Kind Regards

GerhardK83 

Hi Gerhard

This company in china https://www.deyeinverter.com/ manufactures the Deye inverter.  In our market we get a 5kw and 8kw variant.  In RSA you get the original Deye branded version, a Sunsynk branded version, an OHM branded version, INGE branded version and for interest in the USA they have a Sol-Ark branded version.  There might even be more.

The Deye data sheet you have come across is accurate for the specifications https://solaradvice.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/8kW-Deye-Sunsynk-Hybrid-PV-Inverter2020-Datasheet.pdf.  Was it this one?

I have a 5kw Sunsynk branded unit and I am very happy with it.  I had some installation teething problems that took a while to sort out especially over lockdown, however this is all resolved.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of inexperienced Solar/electrical installers out there who do not truly understand the correct wiring requirements for these type of hybrid inverters and even less knowledge of how to resolve things if a problem is encountered.   The installation manuals are also a little light on detail. 

You can use any type of Solar panels with this inverter.  It all comes down to the panel specification and how you wire them to stay within the inverter's range.  For example I have 15 panels of 335W each.  Each panel has a max rated current of +- 9 amp.  If you wire 6 of them in series your Volts would be +- 240 V but the max amps would not exceed 9A which is well below the 18A maximum.  You could wire two strings in parallel and you would still be within the 18A (9A + 9A) range but I will leave the technical details to the more experienced on this forum.

You are welcome to get in touch if you have questions or need further information about these inverters as I have learnt a great deal about them over the last 2 months.

13 hours ago, Halcyon said:

Hi Gerhard

This company in china https://www.deyeinverter.com/ manufactures the Deye inverter.  In our market we get a 5kw and 8kw variant.  In RSA you get the original Deye branded version, a Sunsynk branded version, an OHM branded version, INGE branded version and for interest in the USA they have a Sol-Ark branded version.  There might even be more.

The Deye data sheet you have come across is accurate for the specifications https://solaradvice.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/8kW-Deye-Sunsynk-Hybrid-PV-Inverter2020-Datasheet.pdf.  Was it this one?

I have a 5kw Sunsynk branded unit and I am very happy with it.  I had some installation teething problems that took a while to sort out especially over lockdown, however this is all resolved.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of inexperienced Solar/electrical installers out there who do not truly understand the correct wiring requirements for these type of hybrid inverters and even less knowledge of how to resolve things if a problem is encountered.   The installation manuals are also a little light on detail. 

You can use any type of Solar panels with this inverter.  It all comes down to the panel specification and how you wire them to stay within the inverter's range.  For example I have 15 panels of 335W each.  Each panel has a max rated current of +- 9 amp.  If you wire 6 of them in series your Volts would be +- 240 V but the max amps would not exceed 9A which is well below the 18A maximum.  You could wire two strings in parallel and you would still be within the 18A (9A + 9A) range but I will leave the technical details to the more experienced on this forum.

You are welcome to get in touch if you have questions or need further information about these inverters as I have learnt a great deal about them over the last 2 months.

Thanks for the feedback @Halcyon

Yes the datasheet that I came across was the one that you linked.

I have the following questions

A] Where did you purchase your 5 Kw unit?

B] Did your unit come with the parallel option or must you buy the kit separately?

C] What batteries are you using with your unit?

D] What are the specifications of the solar panels that you are using with your unit?

E] What teething problems did you have with your installation?

F] Do you have an users manual for the 5 Kw unit?

G] If you have a users manual for the unit please share the manual?

H] Did you install the system yourself or did you get an installer to install the system?

Kind Regards

GerhardK83

21 minutes ago, GerhardK83 said:

Thanks for the feedback @Halcyon

Yes the datasheet that I came across was the one that you linked.

I have the following questions

A] Where did you purchase your 5 Kw unit?  Ellies in Pta.

B] Did your unit come with the parallel option or must you buy the kit separately?  My 5kw unit can be paralleled, it is a software setting.

C] What batteries are you using with your unit?  48 V 100 Ah lithium battery.  My battery is not on the list of compatible Lithium batteries with the inverter's BMS interface so is set up as a lead acid battery.  The Inverter is however very good at determining state of charge, as it has a learning algorithm for batteries which gets better as you use it.

D] What are the specifications of the solar panels that you are using with your unit?  I have 15 x 335 Watt Canadian Solar panels.   Inverter's MMPT 1 has 6 panels wired in series and MPPT 2 has 9 panels wired in series.

E] What teething problems did you have with your installation?  My DB is split into essentials and non-essential circuits.  It is very important if you want this inverter to only run a backup circuit (essential loads) when the grid goes down, that your house wiring is correct.  If there are any common neutrals or faults between the essential and non essential circuits the inverter does not read the power correctly and this affects its optimal functioning.  After a lot of trouble shooting to the point of thinking the inverter was faulty my house wiring issues were eventually resolved and the device is now working perfectly.  Many people buy the 8k version and run all the circuits through it so this becomes less of a problem.  You welcome to give me a call if you want to discuss the detail.

F] Do you have an users manual for the 5 Kw unit?  Yes, refer to my folder where I have collected various manuals which in combination will give you the best insight.   https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s25rb3fv9b3l5xj/AACQl87k5Ton76jqwEvYNmzva?dl=0

G] If you have a users manual for the unit please share the manual?  see above.

H] Did you install the system yourself or did you get an installer to install the system?  I used a solar installer however they did not have specific experience with this machine.  I had to enlist a number of other professionals to trouble shoot until we eventually identified my house had a wiring issue/fault which was causing the issues.  Once this was rectified the inverter worked perfectly thereafter.   I can recommend a number of installers who have specific experience  with this machine, depending on where you are based. 

Kind Regards

GerhardK83

2 hours ago, Halcyon said:

Thanks for the feedback @Halcyon I will work through the documents and see how the units differ from the other brands.

In the feedback that you provided you mention that the Lithium battery does not communicate with the unit now I have the following questions

A] Is it a branded Lithium battery or a no name brand?

B] Is the list of compatible batteries indicated in the manuals or where can I obtain a list of compatible Lithium batteries?

I am based in Pretoria so please advise a few installers who have experience with the unit (if they are on the forum even better) in case I have any questions that you cannot answer.

Kind Regards

GerhardK83

3 hours ago, GerhardK83 said:

Thanks for the feedback @Halcyon I will work through the documents and see how the units differ from the other brands.

In the feedback that you provided you mention that the Lithium battery does not communicate with the unit now I have the following questions

A] Is it a branded Lithium battery or a no name brand?

B] Is the list of compatible batteries indicated in the manuals or where can I obtain a list of compatible Lithium batteries?

I am based in Pretoria so please advise a few installers who have experience with the unit (if they are on the forum even better) in case I have any questions that you cannot answer.

Kind Regards

GerhardK83

Hi Gerhard

My battery is a Narada which is not compatible with BMS.  Apparently the ones that work at present with BMS are Solar MD, Freedomwon, DYNESS and Pylontech.  No list of compatible batteries included in the manuals.  The suppliers should have a full list.

If you go for the Sunsynk branded version it shares a menu structure that is very close to the USA Sol-Ark version.  Sol-Ark have an excellent youtube channel that in my mind is the best source of information I have come across on how to set up the machine correctly and exploit its amazing set of features optimally. (Obviously ignore their 120v split phase power standard).  The Deye, Ohm and INGE variants have a slightly different firmware and menu structure but in principle all work the same.  I have a few recorded video demonstrations on how to use and set up for them.

Send me an e-mail and I will respond with the recommended suppliers/installers in Pta.  [email protected]

1 hour ago, Halcyon said:

Hi Gerhard

My battery is a Narada which is not compatible with BMS.  Apparently the ones that work at present with BMS are Solar MD, Freedomwon, DYNESS and Pylontech.  No list of compatible batteries included in the manuals.  The suppliers should have a full list.

If you go for the Sunsynk branded version it shares a menu structure that is very close to the USA Sol-Ark version.  Sol-Ark have an excellent youtube channel that in my mind is the best source of information I have come across on how to set up the machine correctly and exploit its amazing set of features optimally. (Obviously ignore their 120v split phase power standard).  The Deye, Ohm and INGE variants have a slightly different firmware and menu structure but in principle all work the same.  I have a few recorded video demonstrations on how to use and set up for them.

Send me an e-mail and I will respond with the recommended suppliers/installers in Pta.  [email protected]

Thanks for the feedback @Halcyon, I will send you an e-mail in the next couple of minutes and then you can respond with the recommended suppliers/installers.

• 1 month later...
On 2020/04/26 at 12:58 PM, Halcyon said:

Hi Halcyon,

Interesting what you have done. I am just about to purchase a 5K Deye inverter from a supplier. It's for a new home installation. I have asked the electrician to split the DB into essential and non essential. However, I'm sure the neutrals are common. So this will be an issue as you have experienced. He will have to rewire in-dependent circuits or should I sacrifice the extra bit of cash for the larger 8Kw? from all the documentation I have seen or manged to download including your linked information, I have not seen any information on remote management setup and configuration. Any advice here? Also would you suggest I make use of an experienced installer or go for it myself?

I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Regards, Krish

Hi Krish, sorry I missed your post, for some reason I did not receive a notification.  To answer your question the difference in price between a 5kw and 8kw is more than R10k to my knowledge.  I doubt whether a good electrician will charge you more than that to fix up a common neutral issue?  In the end I spent about R3k to get it resolved however a lot of that had to do with a lack of experience on their part and different guys had to come and troubleshoot.  Basically I learnt the following from the guys that solved it.  If you split your circuits, the test to determine if a common neutral remains after installation.  Switch off Eskom at 63amp breaker in DB.  If you test a voltage (230V) between Eskom neutral and the inverter output live you have an issue somewhere.  Bare in mind this issue can also be some kind of earth fault on a light circuit or similar.

Deye/Sunsynk inverters can be remote controlled but the factory only releases this protocol on special request.  You can remote monitor no problem with the Solarman APP.

Installation - difficult question.  In theory not difficult to install, but if you encounter issues then you might get stuck.

• 4 weeks later...

@Halcyon

I have the OHM 8 kW inverter which I run mainly in off-grid mode, but occasionally need grid power to charge batteries when the weather is not co-operating.  After reading about the issue of neutral - earth bonding, I tested my setup in off-grid mode and found V readings as follows L - N = 244, L - E = 50 and N - E =18 (On-grid it's L - N = 244, L - E = 230 and N - E = 1).  Testing the E/L unit (button on the E/L) in the downstream DB, it trips as expected, both off-grid and on-grid.

To me it appears I have the floating neutral problem and was wondering about how you connected the Axpert earthing box relay you mentioned to the inverter, and where did you get it?

Regards,

Rob

Hello @Vassen,

Interested to know how you got on with that relay from Communica?

The suggestion by Halcyon is a neat solution, but I noted that the Axpert grounding box is only rated for 4,8 kW; so not sure how safe it is using it for my 8 kW OHM inverter.

Regards,

Rob

@Vassen,

Neat! It might be the solution for me.  Did you cable-tie the relay to the DIN rail?

Although the OHM is supposedly identical to the SunSynk, it isn't and is more like the Sol-Ark sold in America.  There are no ATS240 pins that I can see (see attached picture) and the software is of the Ingwe / Deye type, which I have not yet seen any support or upgrades for.

Currently, I have a permanent Neutral-to-Earth bond in the inverter; as I feel that this is safer than a floating Neutral.  I am 90% in "off-grid" mode and only need the relay when needing the grid during days of no / little sunshine.

Thanks for the input, but it looks like I will need to take the signal from the grid.

Keep safe and regards,

RobOHM-pins.thumb.jpeg.671ecb9de6de5074924dff91abdde030.jpeg

My solution to the Neutral-Earth bond in the OHM 8 kW inverter.

Decided to mount the power relay inside the inverter, rather than in the DB (as suggested by @Vassen).  Appears to be working well with no voltage potential between Neutral and Earth in either grid-tied or off-grid modes.  Took the signal from the Grid input of the inverter.

This version of the Deye / SunSynk / Ingwe / OHM / Sol-Ark / etc. etc., does not have the ATS 240 pins, nor the ability to upgrade the software (not anywhere I can find that is).

This lack of obvious software support for the various models (all made by Deye apparently) is a strong indicator to opt for the SunSynk brand, as they do have an active support team and forum with a recent upgrade to the software  that addresses this very issue.  My 2 pennies worth.

Thanks to @Halcyon and @Vassen for their suggestions and input.

Keep safeOHM_relay.thumb.jpg.5e2b60847578738e3db4bef9074ef92e.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 2020/06/24 at 7:58 AM, Halcyon said:

Hi Krish, sorry I missed your post, for some reason I did not receive a notification.  To answer your question the difference in price between a 5kw and 8kw is more than R10k to my knowledge.  I doubt whether a good electrician will charge you more than that to fix up a common neutral issue?  In the end I spent about R3k to get it resolved however a lot of that had to do with a lack of experience on their part and different guys had to come and troubleshoot.  Basically I learnt the following from the guys that solved it.  If you split your circuits, the test to determine if a common neutral remains after installation.  Switch off Eskom at 63amp breaker in DB.  If you test a voltage (230V) between Eskom neutral and the inverter output live you have an issue somewhere.  Bare in mind this issue can also be some kind of earth fault on a light circuit or similar.

Deye/Sunsynk inverters can be remote controlled but the factory only releases this protocol on special request.  You can remote monitor no problem with the Solarman APP.

Installation - difficult question.  In theory not difficult to install, but if you encounter issues then you might get stuck.

Hi Halcyon, we have installed a 5kw Deye hybrid inverter with the essential and non-essential load split, 14 x 405w JA solar panels and 2 x 3.5kw Pylontech batteries for approxiametely 4 weeks now. We are in the Pretoria area. You mentioned earlier that you had a few glitches with the smart load function. We have been experiencing something similar. The non-essential line dips in voltage every so often at random times. When the electrician was here to try find the fault, he happened to stand at the db board and measuring the volt on the mains when such a dip happened for literally a second. It dropped from 234v to 170v and back up again. This is enough to trigger every appliance on the non-essential split to switch off and back on again. All essentials remain on.

This morning 2 independent electricians have informed us that the Deye 5kw has an issue with the smart output and we must connect the essentials and non-essentials to the one output. Apparently there is something wrong with the software. The manufacturers have confirmed this with the 2 electricians.

The way we wanted our house setup: 1 x essential line and 1 x non-essential lines; 14 x solar panels to generate power during the day; a hybrid inverter to blend solar and eskom power in the day when the solar is not generating enough for the essential and non-essentials; essentials to run from batteries at certain times at night and for loadshedding backup; non-essentials to run from eskom at night; non-essentials to be off when it is loadshedding. If there is loadshedding, our essentials will receive power from the batteries and our non-essentials will be off.

The electricians have suggested we run the essentials and non-essentials through the same port and not use the smart load at all. This means we will have our essential and non-essentials use our battery backup during the evening, which is not what we want. Our batteries will deplete to quickly if we do that. 

What are your thoughts? Is there a problem with the smart output? Or is this another problem?

Thanks,

Ilse

2 hours ago, IlseB said:

Hi Halcyon, we have installed a 5kw Deye hybrid inverter with the essential and non-essential load split, 14 x 405w JA solar panels and 2 x 3.5kw Pylontech batteries for approxiametely 4 weeks now. We are in the Pretoria area. You mentioned earlier that you had a few glitches with the smart load function. We have been experiencing something similar. The non-essential line dips in voltage every so often at random times. When the electrician was here to try find the fault, he happened to stand at the db board and measuring the volt on the mains when such a dip happened for literally a second. It dropped from 234v to 170v and back up again. This is enough to trigger every appliance on the non-essential split to switch off and back on again. All essentials remain on.

This morning 2 independent electricians have informed us that the Deye 5kw has an issue with the smart output and we must connect the essentials and non-essentials to the one output. Apparently there is something wrong with the software. The manufacturers have confirmed this with the 2 electricians.

The way we wanted our house setup: 1 x essential line and 1 x non-essential lines; 14 x solar panels to generate power during the day; a hybrid inverter to blend solar and eskom power in the day when the solar is not generating enough for the essential and non-essentials; essentials to run from batteries at certain times at night and for loadshedding backup; non-essentials to run from eskom at night; non-essentials to be off when it is loadshedding. If there is loadshedding, our essentials will receive power from the batteries and our non-essentials will be off.

The electricians have suggested we run the essentials and non-essentials through the same port and not use the smart load at all. This means we will have our essential and non-essentials use our battery backup during the evening, which is not what we want. Our batteries will deplete to quickly if we do that. 

What are your thoughts? Is there a problem with the smart output? Or is this another problem?

Thanks,

Ilse

The sunsynk had the same issue but this was resolved recently with a firmware update. 

Try getting the Deye support team to involved and releasing a firmware update. Deye/sunsynk are pretty much the same and just rebranded with different user interfaces. 

On 2020/10/05 at 8:21 PM, Vassen said:

HI there. 

If this is what you want to achieve, then you don't need to use the smart load feature. You just wire the essential loads to the load output (as you have now) and the nonessential to the grid before the inverter.  That's how I have my sunsynk wired and the CT coil at the main Eskom feed. 

The smart load is meant to allow you to still power non-essential loads loads from battery when grid is off until say 60% and then it shuts down and the essential loads are then still powered by battery. 

With my config, I can still blend solar with the essential and non essential loads and I can still use battery to feed back into the rest of your house upto the CT coil as long as the grid is connected. 

HI Vassen, please could you share your time of use settings? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020/10/05 at 8:21 PM, Vassen said:

HI there. 

If this is what you want to achieve, then you don't need to use the smart load feature. You just wire the essential loads to the load output (as you have now) and the nonessential to the grid before the inverter.  That's how I have my sunsynk wired and the CT coil at the main Eskom feed. 

The smart load is meant to allow you to still power non-essential loads loads from battery when grid is off until say 60% and then it shuts down and the essential loads are then still powered by battery. 

With my config, I can still blend solar with the essential and non essential loads and I can still use battery to feed back into the rest of your house upto the CT coil as long as the grid is connected. 

The only problem with this setup is that the inverter cannot power the non-essential items with power from the PV Panels. Non-essential items will then only be able to get power from the grid.