CBI Astute Smart Controller

Desh

Hey guys,

Has anyone used the CBI ASC as a smart automated timer for geysers or pool pumps? Trying to find out if it can integrate into Home Assistant.

Seems like a great all in one device to use as a smart timer at a decent price, instead of having to add additional relays or contactors when using Sonoff's or Shelly's.

https://cbi-lowvoltage.co.za/asc-qr

I see Voltex have them for R553.50.

I also did some research and see no default Home Assistant integrations for it.

Just got feedback from the marketing guys at CBI, they state that they have downloaded home assistant and their device is not compatible with it.

Thought it would be a great substitute from Sonoff's and relays. :) But seems that will have to be the go to for now.

The Sonoff with external really is a good option and not too much of a hack to put together, did it for my geysers about a month ago and was very worthwhile has definitely made a difference with my consumption, all in I think it cost me about R475 per geyser.

On 2020/10/16 at 12:34 PM, Jatho said:

What do they cost?
I think its unlikely that it works in Home Assistant would most probably only work with their app. Nothing comes up for Home Assistant CBI 

I paid around R450 each from LiteGlo. Only way I managed to get it working with Home Assistant was to get Tasmota loaded on it. It involved replacing the internal WiFi module with and ESP module (another R60). I broke down the process below; I even got power monitoring to work

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/cbi-astute-power-monitor-switch-tasmotized.1108106/#post-26290342

Edited by gbyleveldt

5 hours ago, gbyleveldt said:

I paid around R450 each from LiteGlo. Only way I managed to get it working with Home Assistant was to get Tasmota loaded on it. It involved replacing the internal WiFi module with and ESP module (another R60). I broke down the process below; I even got power monitoring to work

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/cbi-astute-power-monitor-switch-tasmotized.1108106/#post-26290342

Great work! Seems like a lot of work though. 

Managed to find this possible workaround, I've not tested as yet though. 

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/tuya-local-with-energy-monitoring-and-without-tuya-convert/173564/9

On 2020/10/24 at 3:25 AM, gbyleveldt said:

Wow great effort man I never would have thought about replacing with an ESP module, I suppose not an open heart surgery everyone would be comfortable with but definitely worth giving it a go if you have good soldering skills and can flash ESP modules, really like that the power monitoring works as well (and this module is rated to comfortably handle geyser loads)

Thanks man. I actually installed two of them over the weekend. One for the geaser and one for the pool pump. I don’t really need power monitoring for either applications (I know what these draw when on), but in the case of the geaser I like the 30A rating and in the case of the pool, I like that it’s DIN rail mountable.

Aaaaand I saw a pic of BW selling them for R350 now. I’m gonna go grab a couple more at that price. Just for in case 

hi @gbyleveldt, are you sure that is not the standard CBI timer, as the two are the same on the outside. I bought mine at Voltex for a bit over R500, took a bit of fiddling, but got it to pair up, now I can switch on the geyser on/off when ever i see there is unused solar pv available, and it fits on my MINI rail db.

Edited by Tariq

6 hours ago, Tariq said:

hi @gbyleveldt, are you sure that is not the standard CBI timer, as the two are the same on the outside. I bought mine at Voltex for a bit over R500, took a bit of fiddling, but got it to pair up, now I can switch on the geyser on/off when ever i see there is unused solar pv available, and it fits on my MINI rail db.

Not sure, I just saw the pic from the side. The guy that posted it seemed convinced it is the Astute though. I tried looking at my local Builders, but I was met with that faraway look so didn't bother further

18 minutes ago, gbyleveldt said:

Not sure, I just saw the pic from the side. The guy that posted it seemed convinced it is the Astute though. I tried looking at my local Builders, but I was met with that faraway look so didn't bother further

In short, normal builders customer service

20 hours ago, Tariq said:

Hi @Tariq, I can confirm that they are the Astute's, however the guy at Builders Rivonia mentioned that each of the larger BH stores received 4 stock items each as a launch offer.  From what I've experienced, the staff cannot tell the difference between one and the other, and are very quick to mention that they do not have stock. I was being redirected to the Bryanston store as they had 3 in stock, when the guy realised that he had found 2 units as I was about to leave the store. At R349 they're a steal, but the hassle of trying to get your hands on them may not be worth the trouble. LiteGlo still have them for R470 each - which seems to be the next best deal. 

And another member posted on @gbyleveldt mybb thread that he was able to get them working with power monitoring on HA using the LocalTuya solution - https://github.com/rospogrigio/localtuya 

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you guys managed to get your hands on these, great price for now.

Haven't installed my devices as yet, hoping to get them configured and working this week.

Are you guys using the CBI app or the Tuya app? How are you finding the app?

On 2020/11/08 at 9:05 AM, MongooseMan said:

It certainly lowered the average age of component in my DB 🙈

image.thumb.png.a798bceed6b72cc501e874fcb049762e.png

Digging the retro look! :D 

I have installed a few of these already ... found them while looking for a timer to control 4 kw geyser elements ... I "dont" recommend the standardtouch CBI timers to customers after being burnt too many times.

I have installed one at home to monitor the power consumption of my geyser ... and also to see if it is going to last longer than 6 months.

Pros -

30 amp resitive load.

Easy to pair and setup.

manual override.

Kwh recording.

Current draw of the appliance 

voltage ... not sure how accurate the reading is ... still have to check using a true RMS meter.

Even the price is pretty resonable for the switching capacity.

Cons - 

it doesnt hook up to home automation devices. 

Talking about price ... I have been buying them for just under R500 from the elctrical wholsalers ... I contacted CBI in connection with the price at builders warehouse ... they said builders is running a special on the product at R349 inc vat ... Contacted builders warehouse ... they have no idea what I am talking about ... went to a branch ... pointed out the label and promotional ad on the wall still no idea ... they cant tell me if they have stock anywhere in the country ... I know for a fact that CBI have stock because I can get stock from all the electrical wholesalers. 

Trying to get one from builders could be a challenge. 

I think I posted somewhere that you should rather try the builder's express. They still don't know what it is, but at least you can point them to it. I bought 4 at the local express last Friday.

Even with the default firmware, the voltage readings are off - in some cases by almost 10%. If you don't mind DIY you can make a below average unit perform brilliantly though, if accurate power monitoring is important to you.

Builders warehouse get a 0/10 for customer services ... I go to the store walk with the person to the shelf point at the label on the shelf which has a bar code a price and a promo ad with pictures of the product on the advert with a full description of the product ... which is then removed taken to the PC ... the bar code inserted and I am still told they dont stock the item.

I then go onto their website hook up a live chat ... send pictures of the label ... share the pictures and label posted on this forum ... and I am told they dont stock the item.

I call their riverhorse trade depot and try the same thing ... sorry we dont stock this item.

I give up ... I cant waste anymore time ... its cheaper for me to buy the product at the wholesaler and get it delivered to my office :( 

It is sad that CBI went from being the number one selling product in SA at a reasonable price availbe at all wholesalers to becoming the most expensive DIY product.

If someone figues out where to get these units or what code to use ... please share.