Passthrough on Sunsynk Hybrid Inverter

Mark M

Hi All

I'm trying to get an answer on the passthrough functionality on the SunSynk Inverters before I purchase.

All the installers I have spoken to seem to give a different answer (not sure if its just because they want me to buy a bigger system?)

My understanding is as follows: Lets assume its the 5Kw Inverter

Grid on

I can pull more power than the 5kw safely for an extended period of time. The excess power would just be pulled from the grid, and this will not damage the inverter.

Grid Off/Loadshedding

I am restricted to the 5kw, and anything above this will trip the inverter.

If the above is true, I will be fine with the 5kw inverter as I very seldom go over 5kw. However there could be an instance, for example, when I put the kettle on, and already have the washing machine and tumble dryer on, and wouldn't want the inverter to trip.

Thanks alot!

your information is correct, I have a 5 kW Sunsynk, with grid available I can go up to 8 kW, so far I have pushed 7.65 kW, I have the dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer, pool pump on non-essential circuits ( stuff you can live without for a few hours ). Only one kitchen socket is connected to essential circuits, so during load shedding we use an extension cord to connect the microwave or kettle, this feature reminds everyone in the household of the fact not to switch on those two appliances together

there is quite a few discussions on passthru on this forum

Edited by Tariq

2 hours ago, Mark M said:

Grid Off/Loadshedding

I am restricted to the 5kw, and anything above this will trip the inverter.

You're actually restricted to how much your batteries can supply.... BUT, if they're able to supply more than 5kW, then you're correct.

I just got a little shock. Wife is baking (apparently for some massive party I don't know about) and pulled 12.77kW at one point. 

I have a 8kW Sunsynk inverter and panels were producing about 3.5kW at the time. 

5 minutes ago, Craigm said:

I just got a little shock. Wife is baking (apparently for some massive party I don't know about) and pulled 12.77kW at one point. 

I have a 8kW Sunsynk inverter and panels were producing about 3.5kW at the time. 

And the system was fine?

No trip or anything?

3 minutes ago, Mark M said:

And the system was fine?

No trip or anything?

I smelt the cookies, no smoke. 

I jumped on the app an hour after this peak, didn't even realise it. I was in a meeting at the time. 

Most of the load was on the non-essential side (ovens, pool pump, kettle) but there was also a fair load on the essential side (dishwasher, washing machine plus normal idle load). 

I love it when my wife gets in these moods (bake and clean), I just wonder when we'll see the smoke. (I am sure the system would trip if it wasn't happy, but so far so good). 

Just to be clear, you can't run more than the inverter's rated power (5,500W) on appliances that are on the essential loads output.  If you have stuff connected before the inverter (aka non-essential), and your CT is correctly installed, the inverter will show this as a load on its screen.  For instance if you have a kettle on an essential plug circuit pulling 2kW, and a geyser + stove that is on the non-essential side pulling 5kW, the inverter will show a load of 7kW, and the inverter will have no problem with this.  But if you try to pull more than 5.5kW on the essential side, the inverter will trip with the 'AC overload' error, and reset itself, even if Eskom power is on.

10 minutes ago, Bernardf said:

Just to be clear, you can't run more than the inverter's rated power (5,500W) on appliances that are on the essential loads output.  If you have stuff connected before the inverter (aka non-essential), and your CT is correctly installed, the inverter will show this as a load on its screen.  For instance if you have a kettle on an essential plug circuit pulling 2kW, and a geyser + stove that is on the non-essential side pulling 5kW, the inverter will show a load of 7kW, and the inverter will have no problem with this.  But if you try to pull more than 5.5kW on the essential side, the inverter will trip with the 'AC overload' error, and reset itself, even if Eskom power is on.

Incorrect 

Pass through is on the essential side. 

If the grid or another ac source is available then you can pull up to 35A on the 5kw and 90A on 8kw essential side. 

Edited by Achmat

17 minutes ago, Bernardf said:

Pic from @Leshenshowing pas through om the 8kw sunsynk.

You'll notice the load on the UPS essential side is over 9kW which is above the 8kw inverter rating. 

761049F8-5ACB-46E7-96CC-ACEF936E7AA0.jpeg.3f30e2e5e03aa0238d5a45e179b49cf5.jpeg

Then maybe something has changed on the newer models. At my old house I had a 5kW installed about a year ago. All plugs and lights were on the load side, and stove & geyser were before the inverter (i.e. they were off when there was load shedding).

If I ran my tumble dryer (3.2kW), dishwasher (2kW) and kettle (2kW) at the same time, the inverter would beep at me, turn off all power, and restart with the AC_Overload_Fault. I fell victim to this about 4 times before learning to check when my wife was busy with the tumble dryer.

For that reason my new install at my new house is the 8kW version, because I don't want to be worrying about using appliances concurrently.

1 minute ago, Bernardf said:

Then maybe something has changed on the newer models. At my old house I had a 5kW installed about a year ago. All plugs and lights were on the load side, and stove & geyser were before the inverter (i.e. they were off when there was load shedding).

If I ran my tumble dryer (3.2kW), dishwasher (2kW) and kettle (2kW) at the same time, the inverter would beep at me, turn off all power, and restart with the AC_Overload_Fault. I fell victim to this about 4 times before learning to check when my wife was busy with the tumble dryer.

For that reason my new install at my new house is the 8kW version, because I don't want to be worrying about using appliances concurrently.

It could be a simple software upgrade. What software version are you running. I had mine installed last year as well including a few other members. 

58 minutes ago, Achmat said:

It could be a simple software upgrade. What software version are you running. I had mine installed last year as well including a few other members. 

This could be the reason the installers I spoke to said that it cant be done.

They were referring to Deye inverters, which perhaps the software (different from SunSynk's software) doesnt allow for this?

• 3 months later...
On 2021/05/25 at 12:42 PM, Bernardf said:

I have found this to be true. Everytime i pull over 5.5kw from the essentials side, my inverter trips. However i am checking the solarman app to see the power values before the inverter tripped so they may not be very accurate. I will do a test and check on the inverter.

24 minutes ago, phidz said:

I have found this to be true. Everytime i pull over 5.5kw from the essentials side, my inverter trips. However i am checking the solarman app to see the power values before the inverter tripped so they may not be very accurate. I will do a test and check on the inverter.

Very true for us as well on my Deye 5kw inverter.

We had to get used to managing essential loads during winter like the heater and kettle on at the same time would trip the inverter. We ended up putting a post-it next to the kettle saying "Heaters?" 😁

MdF

4 minutes ago, Tariq said:

@phidzand @Bernardf, do you have tripping even when grid is available, or did i not understand you guys properly

So the inverter trips when grid is available. From the solarman app it shows that it trips when 5.5kw is drawn from the essentials side. I don't know how accurate that is, so i will test today checking the real time inverter readings.

Just now, Mark M said:

I think the trip only seems to happen with the Deye inverters? Noticed on a friends Deye aswell.

I have a sunsynk 8kw inverter and have managed to get to over 10kw, with no trip or issue.

it's tripping on my Sunsynk 5kw