12 kW 3 Phase System Installed - Experience so Far

JayN

So, I bit the bullet and had the Synsunk 12 kW 3 Phase system installed.

I put in the following:

• Sunsynk 12kw 3 Phase inverter
  • 1 x Hubble AM2
  • 8 x 540w JA Solar Panels

I connected all three phases of the board to the inverter, i.e. everything on the UPS side.

I've set the unit so that:

• I'm off grid power from around 9.00 am to around 7.00 pm every day (some days a bit longer)
  • I preserve a nominal battery charge from 07.00 pm to 11.00 pm in case the power goes out - if I don't do that I can go until 08.00 pm being off grid and deplete the battery to 25%.
  • I charge the batter to around 75% (from 50%) which sees me through to 04.00 am
  • At 04.30 pm the geysers kick in and its all on grid (geyser is on for about an hour)
  • Second geyser kicks in 08.00 am to 08.30 am all on grid

Really good results so far.  The loads are managed via smart timers.  Still getting the timings right to use everything we produce and take care of the low production days as well.

During the day I have to dump excess power into the geysers for limited period of time.

Pool pump is on from 10.00 am to 04.00 pm - all from solar.

I do get a battery comm fault every now and then, especially when a geyser kicks in and the battery is at 25% already.  Fault is only at this time, clears and carries on.

Essentially, the morning and evening geysers, and the power requirements between 07.00 pm and 11.00 pm and the battery charge at 11.00 pm are from the grid.

My on grid consumption has dropped by 60-65% on average.

Next upgrade would be 1 x Hubble AM2 and 8 x 540 w panels.  That is still not enough for the morning and afternoon peak.  

Apart from the random BMS battery fault, everything is working well.

If you aim to get more independent from Eskom you should get more storage capacity. In view of your inverter and PV capacity I suggest at least 4 packs Hubble AM2.

With 10kW installed inverter and 4kW nominal PW peak power I have 19kWh of nominal battery capacity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021/10/08 at 8:17 PM, Beat said:

If you aim to get more independent from Eskom you should get more storage capacity. In view of your inverter and PV capacity I suggest at least 4 packs Hubble AM2.

With 10kW installed inverter and 4kW nominal PW peak power I have 19kWh of nominal battery capacity.

Hi ... I plan to install three packs and another bank of 8 x 540w panels.  That will more or less make me independent of the grid, except on a very cloudy day.

My daily demand from the grid is 9 kw per day, and I have a total household consumption of 30 kw per day.

The 9 kw per day is max, made up of the demand from around 11 pm at night to around 8 am in the morning.  It includes the two geysers which come on for the morning run with the use of a timer.

Two additional AM2s and additional PV panels to fill them will see me through about 90% of the time.

I have stopped charging the battery from the grid at night, and I hold about 30% of charge which can see me through 2 hours of light use going to 20% (normal min is 25%) if the grid goes off at night.

I will upgrade over time.

Battery fault:  This has now gone.

Just now, Sc00bs said:

@JayN I have a question on the 3Phase Sunsynk.

Do the phases on the load have to be balanced or can the inverter supply and unbalanced load say 6kw - 2kw - 2kw or is there a maximum load per phase? 

The 12kw 3 Phase Sunsynk can handle up to 6kw per phase, with a total of 12kw across all three phases.

My loads are not all balanced.  It's not too bad though.  

On the Phase 1, I have a few plugs and lights and pool pump - max draw can be 2-3 kw.

On Phase 2, I have lights, oven and the big geyser - max draw about 6kw.  I have the geyser on a timer and make sure the oven and geyser are not on at the same time.  We hardly use the oven.

on Phase 3, I have plugs, and the small geyser - max draw can be 5-6kw.

At any one point in time, mostly Phase 3 is in use because of plugs (fridge freezer).  

At night, Phase 2 kicks in because of lights.

Phase 1 runs during the day.  Loads are not all balanced all the time because the geysers are the massive draw.

The manual on the Sunsynk (if I recall correctly) says it can handle 100% unbalanced load up to 6 kw per phase subject to a max. of 12kw across the three phases.

6 hours ago, JayN said:

Hi ... I plan to install three packs and another bank of 8 x 540w panels.  That will more or less make me independent of the grid, except on a very cloudy day.

My daily demand from the grid is 9 kw per day, and I have a total household consumption of 30 kw per day.

I agree but I think you should add even more batteries.

A little hint: If you are talking demand and consumption you are talking energy in kWh. If you are talking panel or inverter power, then you are talking W and kW.

hi JayN

Next week they will install my 12Kw 3PH Synsynk, also with one Hubble 5.5kw , and 12 x 455w Solar panels, so would be good to compare when I have the stats.

My roof is 40% angle, which is not optimal for summer, but would be better in winter. In Summer we consume around 35kwh a day.

My longer term plan is also to get 2 more battery packs, and a few more panels.

cheers

Chris

16 minutes ago, Chris_H said:

hi JayN

Next week they will install my 12Kw 3PH Synsynk, also with one Hubble 5.5kw , and 12 x 455w Solar panels, so would be good to compare when I have the stats.

My roof is 40% angle, which is not optimal for summer, but would be better in winter. In Summer we consume around 35kwh a day.

My longer term plan is also to get 2 more battery packs, and a few more panels.

cheers

Chris

Hi ... would be happy to do that.

Your summertime consumption is only slightly higher than my consumption.

My key issue is that I have excess energy during the day which I am able to dump into the geysers - I have these on wifi linked timers.  Thus far I've set these so that I consume majority of the energy produced.  Geysers all have hot water for the evening showers.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @JayN @Chris_H

Looking at starting with this same setup. I might start with a couple more panels since we are energy hogs. 

Question; did you downgrade your geyser element(s)? I only have one but it has a 4 KW element and currently resides on the same phase as my stove so not looking forward to someone switching on the stove while the geyser is on. 

Also; did you install yourself? 

Thanks. 

Hi,

I think Chris and I used the same installer.

Try to separate the geyser and stove on two separate phases then you don't have to worry about it.

I didn't downgrade my elements.  I have 1 x 4kw, 1 x3kw on different phases.  I have a gas stove, which is way cheaper to run than electrical stove.  We cook everyday and a 9 kg lasts three and a half months.  

I put the geysers on an astute CBI timer so I can control it remotely if necessary. I found the sweet spot for timing.  

Better to go for an extra battery.  I have 8 panels (540w) and one battery. Could just about use another battery if I had 2 more panels. Having more panels without a battery will not help me. Battery before the next panels go up.

Hope this helps.

On 2021/11/16 at 9:35 PM, Nate said:

Hi @JayN @Chris_H

Looking at starting with this same setup. I might start with a couple more panels since we are energy hogs. 

Question; did you downgrade your geyser element(s)? I only have one but it has a 4 KW element and currently resides on the same phase as my stove so not looking forward to someone switching on the stove while the geyser is on. 

Also; did you install yourself? 

Thanks. 

Hi Nate. 4kw geyser element still in place. 

Cudub Holdings did the install. Very happy with their work and good pricing

On the 12kw 3ph model one phase can go up to 6kw

On 2021/11/16 at 9:53 PM, JayN said:

Hi,

Try to separate the geyser and stove on two separate phases then you don't have to worry about it.

I didn't downgrade my elements.  I have 1 x 4kw, 1 x3kw on different phases.  I have a gas stove, which is way cheaper to run than electrical stove.  We cook everyday and a 9 kg lasts three and a half months.  

I put the geysers on an astute CBI timer so I can control it remotely if necessary. I found the sweet spot for timing.  

Better to go for an extra battery.  I have 8 panels (540w) and one battery. Could just about use another battery if I had 2 more panels. Having more panels without a battery will not help me. Battery before the next panels go up.

Hope this helps.

Wait till next winter before adding more batteries, might not have enough pv to charge the extra battery to 100%

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021/11/16 at 9:53 PM, JayN said:

Hi,

Hope this helps.

Thanks @JayN! Really appreciate the feedback. 

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I’m watching this thread with interest. I currently have a 5kw Deye on 2 of my 3 phases. I’m considering the change to this new 3-phase but want to make sure I understand the power output available. 

Off-grid assuming available PV / battery it would be 4kw per phase up to a max of 6kw per phase and a total rated load of 12kw (although spec sheet does say max of 13.2kw). 

When on grid then AC pass through allows 45 amps which I’m assuming is per phase and thus a phase could have 11kw of load (6 from PV / battery and balance from grid). Would one be able to do this on all three phases simultaneously or would there be another limiting factor?

I ask because on my single phase 5kw inverter I can go to about 7.75kw when on grid before there are any issues. 

In practice I’d never get to 11kw per phase simultaneously but I’m trying to understand the above to ensure there is sufficient room for all appliances and spikes of draw. I’d obviously put oven / pool pump / heat pump / aircons on non-essential side across the phases but believe this would still contribute to load when the grid is available. 

Any real world experience is appreciated and corrections of misunderstandings as well. 

Michael

Hi iMercury,

The 3 Phase Sunsynk is great.

I have the whole house connected to the inverter.  2 Geysers (3kw and 4kw), an oven (2kw) pool pump (0.75kw).  Stove is gas.  The loads are reasonably balanced, except the kettle (1.5kw), microwave (2kw), geyser (3kw) and a few household plugs (0.5kw) is on the same phase.  The grid comes in when the battery or panels cannot deliver.

There was a night in Jan that I had to put on both geysers at the same time - this does not usually happen.  My SO decided to also put the kettle on and warm up something to eat in the microwave.

Power draw on one of the phases must have been slightly more than 7kw, and across the phases it would have gone past 12kw (probably closer to 13kw).  I would have thought that the pass through would have kicked in.  Instead the inverter cut out for about a minute or less - all power went off and it reset.  When it came back all was well, microwave and kettle automatically goes off.

This is just my experience.  It was an odd set of circumstances (a perfect storm).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys can we have an update on your systems

I'm looking at installing the following 
 I x 12 KVA 3phase Deye Grid-tie inverter
 4 x 5.5 kw Hubble batteries 
 24 x 400w Canadian Solar Panels

I currently use 50 kwh a day yet I have 2 x 3kw heat pumps instead of geysers and drawing close to 2kwh at night

Hi,

My night load is as follows:

18.00-23.00:  Around 600w per hour.  Power is for lights, 2 TVs and a few computers and other electronics including a separate fridge and freezer.

23.00-06.00: around 300w per hour.  TVs are off.  Most lights are off. Only fridges and a pond pump is on continuously.

I have two normal geysers. One 3kw and the other 4kw. The 3kw comes on between 4.20-5.30.  That gets fully hot from warm water in the geyser the night before. This load is not included in the nightnload.

The second geyser comes on at 6.50-7.30 and usually gets full hot by 7.15 unless the water was Luke warm when it started up.

My panels 8x540w are north facing and at the moment go from 200w at 9.10 to around 2500w by 9.20.  they can get up to 4kw during the day like today in JHB.  With clouds today, I produced 20kwh.  During the day the geyser both come on until fully hot, pool pump runs from 8.30 until 16.30, mostly off grid and the dishwasher runs in addition to the normal day loads of around 600w per hour. Most of my consumption between 8.30 and 18.00 is off grid.

I have 1 x Hubble AM2.  By 18.00 the Hubble is set to be 90% or above in case of loadahedding or an outage.  It either is full from solar, or the grid tops it up.  Grid top up only happens on very cloudy days, which is not too often.  My consumption after 18.00-00.00 is from the grid.  The battery starts to drain at 00.00 and usually I'm off grid until about 30 mins into the first geyser heating. 

Battery goes down to 30% and holds that until 06.00 and then drains to 25% until 07.00.  by that time my usage is partly battery partly the solar which by 07.00 is around 200w.  The second geyser is purely on grid.

My daily consumption is roughly 30kwh and I produce around 550kwh per month.  

You will have a fantastic system with four batteries. Not sure why your consumption is so high per day.  Probably aircons?

Hope this helps. 

I need to extend my system by another 2x batteries and about 10x 540w panels to be off grid for 90-95% of consumption. 

Thank you. I am trying to locate the cause of usage and found my ac is using 13.7kw in 24 hours on standby (2 x Daikin vrv3 ) 3 phase supply

The other ite. Is my ups feeding my Intruder alarm, cctv and internet which is drawing 13.6kw. Single phase supply. 

I am going to put a kwh meter on these items to confirm my theory 

Screenshot_20220210-181953_Monitor.jpg