Jump to content

Mixed pylontech US3000b with UP 5000


Jazzy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi Jazzy, I was also contemplating adding a Pylontech US5000 battery to my US3000 set up with Victron-Venus GX control.

Installers I talked to yesterday at www.kragdag.co.za expo consider it high risk. I could not get even one that would mix different versions of US3000. When asked why, they said, from experience, just do not do it. Why take the risk?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Abe53 said:

Hi Jazzy, I was also contemplating adding a Pylontech US5000 battery to my US3000 set up with Victron-Venus GX control.

Installers I talked to yesterday at www.kragdag.co.za expo consider it high risk. I could not get even one that would mix different versions of US3000. When asked why, they said, from experience, just do not do it. Why take the risk?

I doubt that the installers you met, know better than the guys who make those batteries. According to Pylontech support, you can mix them, just contact Pylontech support if in doubt. This is a response which I got from Pylontech, not installers,  ''And yes, you could connect UP5000 to the 4 US2000, but you need to use the new UP5000 as the master battery''. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good evening Hooloc, those installers might not have all the knowledge, but they have experience.

They are not all palookas, but all had trouble mixing PylonTech packs. Give them credit!

I will only expand my Pylontech with same spec packs. I understand some are 15s, and some are 16s cells ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Abe53 said:

Good evening Hooloc, those installers might not have all the knowledge, but they have experience.

They are not all palookas, but all had trouble mixing PylonTech packs. Give them credit!

I will only expand my Pylontech with same spec packs. I understand some are 15s, and some are 16s cells ?

If you are using bms communication to the inverter it does not really matter if you mix different capacity batteries,they will all discharge and charge properly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Nexuss said:

If you are using bms communication to the inverter it does not really matter if you mix different capacity batteries,

But 15S versus 16S is a different module voltage. That's a whole lot more serious than mismatched capacities. [ Edit: it looks like they are all 15S, per next post. ]

Edited by Coulomb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Being an installer I have 1x us2000 2x us3000 1x us3000C and 2x UP5000 all in one bank working fine see pic below

From the pylontech manual verbatum:

15) Compatible with the US3000C, US2000C, US3000, and US2000.
*Mixture using master battery priority:
UP5000>US3000C>US2000C>US3000>US2000
For same type of module always use the latest production unit as master.
*Mixture using battery deployment option:
Master battery (1st) UP5000
Slave 2nd ~8th UP5000/US3000C/US2000C/US3000/US2000
Slave 9th ~16th UP5000/US3000C/US2000C

Please take note of order of batteries above if and when stacking.

They all are 15 cells i'm pretty sure

Only down site is the you need to limit your draw to the smallest battery in your bank

Mine the max I can draw is 1.9kw continuously because of US2000 (FYI lithium batteries work well between 95%-35%)

1st ALL Batteries "HAVE TO BE Balanced" or else you will get an alarm on batteries

Inverter MUST communicate with Master batteries BMS

IMG_20210702_130020.thumb.jpg.f92731133d99f13c981d4bb377e0297d.jpg

 

 

Edited by Quwatush Shams (Suly)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Abe53 said:

Good evening Hooloc, those installers might not have all the knowledge, but they have experience.

They are not all palookas, but all had trouble mixing PylonTech packs. Give them credit!

I will only expand my Pylontech with same spec packs. I understand some are 15s, and some are 16s cells ?

Hi, did they bother to find out why they were having trouble mixing the Pylotech packs? No use arguing about this because even on this forum, with a quick search, you will see that some users were having the same problem mixing the US3000C with US3000B or US2000 and they have managed to fix tha twith a simple FW upgrade. If they have bothered to find out, they would have learned that with a simple firmware upgrade, their problems would have been fixed. The later FW allows you to mix different Pylontech packs, just update your US3000 or your US2000 to the latest version and your problems will be solved. Again, the manufacture says you can mix the packs, they wouldn't say that if they have not tested that it is possible to mix them. Their experience seems to be limited

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Tried to connect a UP5000 to my system with US3000's. Seemed to work for 2 days, Then gave an error.

Spoke to the supplier, and they say it does not work. The manual says it will, but it does not.

I took the UP5000 in and the supplier replaced the BMS and says they loaded the correct version of Firmware.

Still failed after that.

Installed the UP5000 on a system with 1 x US3000C and it looks like it works on this system.

My experience is that the UP5000 does not work with the US3000, and the supplier is not very helpfull.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2021/10/20 at 5:58 AM, Quwatush Shams (Suly) said:

Only down site is the you need to limit your draw to the smallest battery in your bank

Mine the max I can draw is 1.9kw continuously because of US2000 (FYI lithium batteries work well between 95%-35%)

I don’t understand this limit draw of the smallest battery, Does this mean you can only draw 1.9KW Maximum from the whole bank or can you draw 1.9KW x 6 Batteries = 11.4KW Maximum from the bank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

We have an axpert MKSII inverter with 3xUS3000 batteries.

We want to go completely off grid and upgrade to 2x7.2 kodak inverters with an extra 3x US3000C or 3x  UP5000 batteries.

To exclude the mentioned battery mixing problems is it possible to connect our 3x US3000 to the slave inverter and the new 3x UP5000 to the master inverter???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bert sa said:

2x7.2 kodak inverters

Hi,

Normally paralled inverters use only one battery bank

3 hours ago, Bert sa said:

is it possible to connect our 3x US3000 to the slave inverter and the new 3x UP5000 to the master inverter???

Yes. if you intend on splitting your loads not master and slave

Edited by Quwatush Shams (Suly)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2021/12/16 at 4:58 PM, Bert sa said:

We have an axpert MKSII inverter with 3xUS3000 batteries.

We want to go completely off grid and upgrade to 2x7.2 kodak inverters with an extra 3x US3000C or 3x  UP5000 batteries.

To exclude the mentioned battery mixing problems is it possible to connect our 3x US3000 to the slave inverter and the new 3x UP5000 to the master inverter???

I think the easy solution will be to get all mixed batteries in one stack and get them to work. They do work together, there is proof on this same post that this is true. Trying to split them into two groups will mean splitting your Loads/DB, one inverter per bank, per DB and this is going to end up giving you a headache. I think it can be done, but that is not the best solution IMHO

Parallel the two inverters, make one battery bank and ask for support if you can't get the batteries to work together. You have all the information on this post and all the best 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2021/12/18 at 2:08 PM, Bert sa said:

Thanks Suly.

By splitting my loads you mean: keeping two sepparate solar systems with each their own load?

This would not very practical with the one DBboard we got, should split this also in two then.

Yep! If you want to have two separate battery banks, you might have to keep two separate solar system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2021/10/19 at 7:15 PM, Abe53 said:

Good evening Hooloc, those installers might not have all the knowledge, but they have experience.

They are not all palookas, but all had trouble mixing PylonTech packs. Give them credit!

I will only expand my Pylontech with same spec packs. I understand some are 15s, and some are 16s cells ?

Respectfully, I disagree. The battery manufacturer (Pylontech) is the one who gives and affords you the warranty and they have stated you can mix the batteries. Now it's up to the end-user to ask the manufacturer who their recommended installer is, in your area so you are certain you are covered under the warranty. At inception phase there was issues of which firmware all the batteries are running on which gave issues and many installers, work on small margins so they are not wholly interested in wasting time with one job. (Not all are like this though, to be fair).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...