Sunsynk Canbus compatible BMS

Sc00bs

Hi Guys 

Does anyone know of any Sunsynk Canbus compatible BMS's? 

I don't see any on the list of compatible products and am wondering what the issues are if any.

Was thinking of building my own battery and would obviously like it to be CANBUS compatible if possible.

10 hours ago, Cliff said:

Hi not sure if you mean BMS's as in a third party ones, but they support most batteries, with a BMS, over CAN. 

Here is a https://www.fullcirclesolar.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/35-FCS-SunSynk-Inverter-Lithium-Battery-Compatibility.pdf

That list is a little out of date because it lists Hubble as only supported by voltage based charge settings on the Sunsynk.

The Hubble does support CANbus comms based integration on all AM models, and only one of its batteries (X-100) using the RIOT, see https://www.hubblelithium.co.za/uploads/1/3/5/0/135079623/hubble_inverter_compatibility_list.pdf

As far as I am aware the BSLBatt supplied by @Backbone Energy also supports CANbus comms with the Sunsynk.

But to get OT, I think that @Sc00bs was seeking a list of discrete BMSs that are compatible with Sunsynk, there are many available https://www.alibaba.com/bms-with-canbus-suppliers.html so it may be best to contact Sunsynk directly.

11 hours ago, Cliff said:

Hi not sure if you mean BMS's as in a third party ones, but they support most batteries, with a BMS, over CAN. 

Here is a https://www.fullcirclesolar.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/35-FCS-SunSynk-Inverter-Lithium-Battery-Compatibility.pdf

Hi Cliff, 

I am talking about a discrete BMS,  I saw JustinSchoeman's project 

and it looks awesome but was wondering if there is not a BMS that is natively compatible with the Sunsynk. 

Would make things a lot easier, although I am pretty sure that Justin would have looked into that when he built up his battery, I thought that maybe things had progressed a bit since he started his project.

14 hours ago, Sc00bs said:

Hi Guys 

Does anyone know of any Sunsynk Canbus compatible BMS's? 

I don't see any on the list of compatible products and am wondering what the issues are if any.

Was thinking of building my own battery and would obviously like it to be CANBUS compatible if possible.

There is an incomplete list in the manual. I have a Hubble AM2 which communicated well with the Sunsynk although Hubble isn't on the list.

Edited by TonyH
spelling

11 hours ago, Sc00bs said:

Hi Cliff, 

I am talking about a discrete BMS,  I saw JustinSchoeman's project 

and it looks awesome but was wondering if there is not a BMS that is natively compatible with the Sunsynk. 

Would make things a lot easier, although I am pretty sure that Justin would have looked into that when he built up his battery, I thought that maybe things had progressed a bit since he started his project.

Right, that makes sense now.

I am sure you could snoop the CAN bus and figure out what the inverter is asking from the battery and then emulate it, but that would require a fair amount of work to implement. 

There are a number of BMSs which are compatible - but they are not generally sold on the DIY market. Mostly wholesale to manufacturers.  The ones that are available separately tend to be ludicrously expensive.

The 'cheapies' generally used on the DIY market are intended for electric bikes/scooters/other vehicles, so they don't really bother with inverter comms.

11 hours ago, GreenMan said:

Hi

As @GreenMan suggests our DALYs with Custom firmware has CABbus communication with Sunsynk inverters. 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 2021/04/18 at 9:38 PM, GreenMan said:

Did you get your Daly BMS to communicate with the Sunsynk. 

Is it on CAN Bus, or RS485 ? 

What pinouts did you use on rhe inverter side ? 

@Sc00bs I have built my own battery ,Daly has some limitations like parallel and balancing. I think Seplos has but have not tried it , I'm currently using a JBD 200amp with my 15kwh bank no coms with inverter works well with  Sunsynk. 

Edited by Raj35

On 2022/03/03 at 1:57 AM, Colin B said:

Did you get your Daly BMS to communicate with the Sunsynk. 

Is it on CAN Bus, or RS485 ? 

What pinouts did you use on rhe inverter side ? 

My battery does not communicate with an inverter - so not using the CAN or RS485 connections.  

• 2 months later...

Hi Team

I would like to know if any of you did some works to connect and BYD Battery Box Pro 13.8 to and 5Kw Sunsynk Inverter.

From What I can find the BYD Battery Box Pro use pin 4=Can H and Pin 5 = Can L

And the Sunsynk use the same, so and cross connection cale to connect these should work...?

Thanks...

• 5 weeks later...
On 2022/03/04 at 11:10 AM, iiznh said:

If you have a USB-RS485 cable and a USB-CAN cable these comms can be implemented with a little programming. Have helped a friend in the past to build something like this. We used a RaspPi4

Hi, can you contact me about this? I would like my JkBms can communicate with my SunSynk.

1 hour ago, pedro54 said:
On 2022/03/04 at 1:10 PM, iiznh said:

Hi, can you contact me about this? I would like my JkBms can communicate with my SunSynk.

Beauty about a public forum is that plenty people can benefit from the process. If you have questions, please ask them. Will try to assist where possible

1 hour ago, pedro54 said:

If you are using a decent bms like the jk bms then there is really no need for it to communicate with the inverter.
Just use the voltage setting on the inverter side with the correct values to match your battery then you will be good to go.
Those JK bms's are awesome and maintain your batteries very well.

3 hours ago, pedro54 said:

In the manual it says if no communication treat as AGM?

Correct, on the sunsynk if no comms then use AGM V (Voltage) - NOT %
The actual settings will be according to your battery bank specs, usually close to or the same as you have on the JK bms.
The JK BMS will do all the actual work of controlling what happens to the battery, thats if its the JK BMS you are using and it has been setup correctly for your specific battery specs.