Axpert software

JohanG

You can always just order a Pi from Centurion Solar and connect that to your Axpert and program it through that, then you don't need any software.  Get it here:

https://centurionsolar.co.za/shop/icc-pi-kit/

They will help you with the setup and configuration, and even provide you with an online portal where you can monitor your system directly on your telephone!

On 2019/07/22 at 6:19 PM, sammy said:

You can always just order a Pi from Centurion Solar and connect that to your Axpert and program it through that, then you don't need any software.  Get it here:

They will help you with the setup and configuration, and even provide you with an online portal where you can monitor your system directly on your telephone!

My understanding is that centurionsolar and ICC have parted ways. You may instead want to go to the source and contact @Manie or [email protected].

Problem is that iccsoftware does not give you any cloud dashboards by default, you have to figure out how to configure it yourself.  This also means that you will not have any cellphone monitoring, unless you register an account at emoncms.org (which you have to pay for) and try to understand countless documents to configure your own dashboards.  With Centurion Solar these dashboards come pre-configured and at no extra cost. Also, iccsoftware does not offer any telephonic support.  Johan from Centurion Solar can be called almost any time and offers friendly free support for every pi bought from them.  You can even visit him and he will give you free training on how to use ICC, how to install your system properly (he is a solar installer himself as well), and take you through the different design configurations to maximize your return on investment.

This is definitely the place to get yours from:

I got mine from ICC directly, it is their product isn't it, and I'm very happy with it. Setup with emoncms and True VNC was easy and Manie from ICC was very helpful. He even logged into my VNC twice after hours to help me set up. Emoncms costs 1$ per feed per year, so its nothing.

Seems to me like Sammy works for centurion solar...

On 2019/07/28 at 8:07 AM, Ernie said:

I got mine from ICC directly, it is their product isn't it, and I'm very happy with it. Setup with emoncms and True VNC was easy and Manie from ICC was very helpful. He even logged into my VNC twice after hours to help me set up. Emoncms costs 1$ per feed per year, so its nothing.

Nope, just very happy with the service I get on a continuous basis.

I got mine from ICC directly, it is their product isn't it, and I'm very happy with it.

Same here. I have had countless e-mails back and forth with Manie with in-depth info on the MQTT capabilities in order to integrate ICC with my home automation system. I have been able to get feed info from the iOS emoncms app without any charges. I also export to PVOutput. Manie is always willing to assist and I would prefer getting support from and supporting the source.

Apart from that, ICC is the way to go. I think it's either Coulomb or Weber that made the comment about driving a car without a fuel gauge if you do not have a BMV in your system. The same goes for ICC.

my 2c for what it is worth.

Edited by vlan_one

On 2019/07/27 at 10:23 PM, sammy said:

Problem is that iccsoftware does not give you any cloud dashboards by default, you have to figure out how to configure it yourself.  This also means that you will not have any cellphone monitoring, unless you register an account at emoncms.org (which you have to pay for) and try to understand countless documents to configure your own dashboards.

Quite the contrary, Manie does have a FREE Emon portal on ICCSoftware.co.za so it is up to the user/client to either register and post to EmonCMS.org, or make use of the hosted platform on his website. just my 2c worth...

So with you on this one Ernie.

Not that it is any of my business and I am so not into this ... which makes me rather impartial, no?

Manie and I had a "competition" going a long while ago to see who "gets there first" ... Manie won pants down. 🙌

So the little bit I know of Manie and a bit more about the history of ICC, none of what was said in that post rang any bells.

But, it also made me wonder: Are the "solar wars" returning. 🤣 (the "longer here" PF members will get the reference)

Unless a lot has changed, then: ICC = Manie and Manie = ICC. Fullstop.
And Manie does the best he can for his clients.

(... now let me get back over the fence ... Blue side is calling me back)

There is but one part I cannot grasp ... so if ICC was Opensource, how does a Manie get remunerated for putting in the months / years of work to get something like ICC out into the market, the support, the tweaking, adding more features?

For as I have said before, developer/s must get paid from somewhere for them to eat so that they can do more "free" development? 
Like Victron who gives some out as opensource yet the developers get paid to write that opensource code, test it, fix it .

And how many developers have the time to deal with all the nitty gritty in and around opensource software like say ICC for free?

37 minutes ago, plonkster said:

This thing has so much open source in it, it's not even funny.

So on that note, let me throw down the gauntlet: If someone wants the source code for SolWEB and see where it can be taken:
- it is web based
- developed using Visual Studio
- Multi user DB design
- MS SQL Server Express which is free
... ask, and you may receive. 😉 

It was far down the line to access data from:
Victron - BMV, MPPT's and some Victron inverters.
Morningstar PWM controllers
GoodWE inverters
Axpert single and parallel
Microcare MPPT
Pulls data from weather station software - forgot the name - per user if required
Sends data to Emon and PVOutput per user
etc.

Gauntlet thrown ... ICC, any interest?

44 minutes ago, plonkster said:

So in essence: You are allowed to charge money for what you do, but if you use other people's work, then either you do as they ask or they deserve some of that money too. If you don't like that, then you can't use that product. Then you write your own.

On that we agree. 🙂 

Me, Comodore64 moving onto Turbo Pascal ... then a career change.

On 2019/07/31 at 4:26 PM, plonkster said:

There is room for something open source. There has always been.

I just came across this open source Axpert monitoring software: SolPopLog. German language at present (might have changed by now), needs help translating to other languages. I've only glanced at it. Runs on a Pi.

• 1 year later...
On 2019/07/31 at 9:26 AM, Guest said:

There is but one part I cannot grasp ... so if ICC was Opensource, how does a Manie get remunerated for putting in the months / years of work to get something like ICC out into the market, the support, the tweaking, adding more features?

You get remunerated by getting a job, like the rest of us?

On 2019/07/31 at 9:26 AM, Guest said:

putting in the months / years of work to get something like ICC out into the market, the support, the tweaking, adding more features?

Well "market" implies it is a product.  Because it is a product, the support, tweaking and features are implied.  Else why pay for it?

As for how most open-source projects work, people write code because they want to.

This isn't some unique situation, lots of incredible pieces of software, much more sophisticated than ICC, exist and are open-source and developed by people because they want to.

I don't personally support pay to use software as a concept, I think as a model it is dead.  That said, he has made quite a little successful business for himself and his customers seem happy, so why not. Oh except the customers that bought the "pirate" version who probably feel screwed over

Edited by Gnome

19 minutes ago, introverter said:

1yearlater.thumb.jpg.76ace36b42b26f22f043112d2e86a2a0.jpg

...  I too  tilt at windmills  😉

Let's just say it strikes a particular annoyance with me when people expect to get paid.  Like they need to get paid to take a sh!t.  You're an adult make your own choices.  But the argument of "oh did this work, so now I should get paid" is a fallacy, it started the other way around.  The guy wanted to make money so he did it.  He never had any intention of doing something for free, so no point bringing it up.

/rant

Edited by Gnome

2 hours ago, Gnome said:

As for how most open-source projects work, people write code because they want to.

Open source merely means the source code is available. It does not necessarily mean you are not paid to write or maintain it. Paid open-source work does exist, and because of the enormous effort involved in maintaining it, lots of people are happy to pay the original guy to continue doing it.

The upside of open source is that I'm not locked into a single provider.

Of course I am nitpicking, you are not wrong in pointing out that the majority of open source is written because someone scratched an itch, and then released it under some very permissive license because he honestly doesn't care (except maybe to get some recognition, or to not get sued if some idiot uses his code in a medical device).

What I am getting at here is the usual distinction between the two meanings of Free: Free as in beer, or Free as in freedom. Most Open source projects are both, but what really makes it good is the latter.

2 hours ago, Gnome said:

particular annoyance with me when people expect to get paid

I'm partly in agreement there. The value of a product is not what it took to make it. The value of a product is how much someone else is willing to pay for it. In that sense, this product is selling for the right price, and given the fact that no serious competition has shown up, clearly the price does not annoy anyone enough to disrupt the market and make their own (and give it away for free, as in beer). But conversely, I get annoyed when relatively simple solutions are sold, resold, and resold again, multiplying the income beyond any reasonable original input cost.

Of course I think the free market principle is more important than my own annoyance, so the market can simply vote with their feet as far as I am concerned 🙂

16 hours ago, Gnome said:

Oh except the customers that bought the "pirate" version who probably feel screwed over

I was dumb enough to make that mistake (just as the "split"/"solar wars" happened). I explained my situation to Manie and he was gracious enough to come to an agreement with me. So kudos to him for that alone.

I admit that ICC is not perfect and has had (and still has) it's issues, but usually Manie does try to fix whatever bugs may crop up. From that perspective alone it is worth it. Like other posters above have said, I could probably write this myself, but why bother spending hundreds of hours (that I can rather spend on billable work) when something is available out there.

My only bugbear now: the software is tied to hardware, these Pi boards are great, but nothing lasts forever and especially not on the Highveld during summer, no matter what protection you think you have in place.

Finally, my last 2c: I really enjoy these kinds of discussion, open/fair exchanges of views are good for everyone and broaden my horizons.

On 2020/09/15 at 5:09 PM, plonkster said:

But conversely, I get annoyed when relatively simple solutions are sold, resold, and resold again, multiplying the income beyond any reasonable original input cost.

Of course I think the free market principle is more important than my own annoyance, so the market can simply vote with their feet as far as I am concerned 🙂

Yep which is ultimately why we aren't his target market.  100% with you on this.